Costs and Scholarships

Immigration regulations require international students to verify the availability of financial resources to pay for all their educational, living, and other expenses (and those of any dependents) for the duration of their studies prior to the issuance of the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (formerly the IAP-66) to obtain a visa to enter the U.S.

Estimated Annual Expenses

View the most recent Estimated Annual Expenses for Undergraduates.

Payment Plans

We offer three different payment plans, so you can pay your semester fees all at once at the beginning of the term, in three deferred installments each semester, or on a 12-month payment plan. Tuition cannot be paid by credit card. If you elect to use one of the installment plans, you will be assessed a modest administrative charge each semester. See the Receivables Office website for more details.

Scholarships and Loans

In general, international undergraduates are expected to fund their own education. Most of the money provided to Iowa State University comes from the State of Iowa or the Federal government, and is therefore limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. However, qualified international students are welcome to apply for any Iowa State scholarships that do not have those limitations, and do not require submissions of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

For your convenience, we include some links to general information on scholarships and loans available to international students. (This listing is for informational purposes only, and does not imply endorsement by Iowa State University.)

Student Employment

Many Iowa State international students work on campus while enrolled. It's a great way to get some pocket money, and also to get more involved with the university. If you will be on an F-1 Student Visa, you may work on campus provided (1) you are maintaining F-1 status, (2) you do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session, and (3) you do not displace a U.S. resident. You may be employed full time during holidays and vacation periods, including summer vacations, provided you are eligible and intend to register for the next school term. Most on-campus jobs pay more than minimum wage (which is currently $7.25/hour). You will be required to pay income taxes on any wages you earn.


See Tuition and Fees on the Office of the Registrar's Web site.