Cyclone Aides are undergraduate student leaders who are employed to facilitate Orientation and Destination Iowa State throughout the year. Cyclone Aides serve as leaders by providing new students with an introduction to campus and its resources, provide campus and residence hall tours, prepare students for academic advising appointments, serve on information panels, and share information about Iowa State with new students and their family members.
Cyclone Aides coordinate the Destination Iowa State program by helping with the selection and supervision of Team Leaders, planning activities and implementing the event. Additionally, Cyclone Aides assist with campus visits and student recruitment throughout the year. Cyclone Aides are an integral part of the Office of New Student Programs.
The Cyclone Aide position offers students a unique opportunity to improve their speaking ability, professionalism, and time management skills – all things employers are looking for. It is also a great networking opportunity; all Cyclone Aides will get to form close relationships with professionals in their respective academic college. Additionally, Cyclone Aides have the opportunity to be the face of Iowa State University, form lifelong friendships, and get amazing Cyclone gear. Being a Cyclone Aide will allow you to develop under each of the career readiness competencies employers are looking for: 1) Collaboration/Teamwork 2) Communication 3) Critical Thinking/Problem Solving 4) Intercultural Perspectives 5) Leadership 6) Learning and Application 7) Professionalism 8) Technology.
Applicants may not be on temporary enrollment or academic or conduct probation and must be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student at the time of application and through spring semester 2022. Students must be able to pass a background check to be employed as a Cyclone Aide.
- Students must demonstrate an interest in working with new students from a variety of backgrounds, a willingness to accept responsibility, and total commitment to creating a positive new student transition
- Students must have ability to work part-time hours during the academic year and full-time hours during summer
- Selected on the basis of previous work experiences, knowledge of Iowa State, leadership, scholarship, enthusiasm, and creativity
- Should possess a warm and friendly manner, sincerity, patience, flexibility, maturity of judgment, punctuality, and a willingness to follow a prescribed standard of excellence
- Must be willing to commit to spring semester preparation, Orientation, Destination Iowa State, and all dates listed below.
- Students may not enroll in academic coursework during summer Orientation
- Students may not have another job during summer Orientation
- Students must live in provided university housing during summer Orientation
- Students must stay in good standing with their Academic College
- Students must have a 2.2 cumulative grade point average at time of application and maintain a 2.0 grade point average throughout employment
Selection will be based on two rounds of interviews. The first round will consist of interviews with the candidate's respective college. Candidates who advance from round one will participate in an individual second round with New Student Programs staff. Information about interviews will be provided to student’s Iowa State email after the application deadline.
Compensation includes hourly compensation at $10/hour between May 2021 and January 2022 (hours vary seasonally but Cyclone Aides will usually work 35-40 hours a week in May and June), summer housing, uniform apparel, and summer meal package including Dining Dollars.
Time Commitment for Cyclone Aides
Dates listed below are subject to changes based on changes made to the academic calendar.
- Summer Training Week (Projected May 18 - TBD; full-time, hours vary 7:00 a.m. to midnight)
- Summer Orientation (TBD - July 2; full-time, hours vary 7:00am to midnight)
- One day retreat on Tuesday, July 13th from 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Hold 4 weekly office hours beginning Wednesday, July 14th to assist with planning of Destination Iowa State and attend weekly staff meeting on Thursdays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm beginning Thursday, July 15th
- Campus Visits, recruitment & orientation initiatives throughout summer 2021
- Coordinate the Destination Iowa State program (August 16-21, 2021; full-time, hours vary 7:00am to midnight)
- Facilitate Cyclone Aide Interviews Wednesday, October 27, and Tuesday, November 2, 2021 (hours vary)
- Assist with Transfer Orientation for 2-3 hours on the days November 1st, and November 12, 2021 based on class schedule
- Team celebration and January Destination Iowa State training on January 6, 2022 from 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- January Orientation & Destination Iowa State on January 7, 2022 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m
For more information or if you have questions about the Cyclone Aide position, please contact New Student Programs at 515-294-0801